Public Liability Accidents

Public liability accidents

We visit all manner of places in our day to day lives, from shops and libraries to offices and swimming pools, and we rely on others to help us stay safe. The law requires Local Authorities and land and business owners to inspect, maintain and repair roads, pathways, and any areas with public access to ensure that members of the public are not at danger.

But despite this legal duty of care, accidents still happen.

If you have suffered a personal injury caused by an accident in a public place, you may be entitled to make a claim. And it’s here that Paul Rooney Solictiors can help you.

What to do in the event of an accident

  • If you have an accident in a public space you should:
  • Report it to a supervisor, manager or your Local Authority straight away.
  • Seek medical treatment if required.
  • If possible, take photos of the location and whatever it was that caused your accident.
  • If you can, use a ruler to measure the size of the defect.
  • Collect contact details for any witnesses to the accident.
  • While it is fresh in your mind, sketch a plan of the incident clearly showing the location, any warning signs present, and other relevant details such as the location of any witnesses.
  • Find out if any similar accidents have occurred in the past.
  • Keep a list of all expenses which you incur and hold onto any receipts.

How we can help you

If you have been injured as the result of an accident in a public space, you can speak to one of the expert case handlers at Paul Rooney Solicitors on 0808 231 4408, or complete the form on the right hand side of this page and we will contact you.